We were on hiatus for the month of July while we rebuilt our delivery systems. Now that we are back for August, the school year is right around the corner. And that means our learners at AAFTL will be auditioning for jobs at our little media-experience incubator.
In this week's basket of goodies, we have (that you won't want to miss):
- Free museum weekend + food forest and flying
- Music in the park and on the Riverwalk
- Micro mover to the beach or make your puppet
Things You Won't Want To Miss This Week:
- Friday night, it's the Starlight Musicals at Holiday Park. Get your groove on with the Studio 54 Band (Hits from the 70's, 80's, and 90's). For 42 years, these free outdoor concerts have provided a great way to enjoy the summer with family and friends. (Free)
- Saturday, August 6th from 9am-Noon - The OrangeBowl Family Fun + Fit Day at Carter Park. Come and enjoy music, caricaturists, games, food trucks, water activities and more. Kids can also receive free haircuts and backpacks with school supplies (while supplies last) at the event. (Free)
- This weekend is Free Museum's On Us (courtesy of Bank of America)! So take advantage of the following:
- Do you have a little one (or a "big" kid/adult 😉) who is fascinated with flying? Come out to MODS Aviation Weekends In August. Test fizz pop rockets to figure out how real rockets launch into space, learn about the best materials for building planes and rockets, build flying cars at the Mechanical Engineer station and apply Newton’s Laws of Motion with a make-and-take aerodynamic rubber band helicopter. (Free with Admission)
- Also at MODS this Saturday, it is the Food Forest Summer Series. Participants will learn the basics of urban gardening and take home cuttings and seeds to plant! The Garden Workshop begins at 10:45am. (Free with Admission)
- Sunday is the day for Jazz Brunch on the Riverwalk. This live outdoor concert series features the area’s best local jazz artists. Listen to the music on three different stages on the first Sunday of each month from 11am to 2 pm. (Free)
Featured Fort Lauderdale
Saturday, from 11am to Noon. North Regional/Broward College Library (Room 154)
So... You Think You Know Fort Lauderdale?
Did you know about the City's new Micro Mover Pilot Program that provides free rides in the downtown and beach areas?
- Downtown Service Area
- On-demand service: Riders can use the “Ride Circuit” app available for download in Google Play and the App Store to request a ride within a geo-fenced service area covering Downtown, Las Olas, and the Beach
- Service Hours: Sunday to Thursday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Beach Service Area
- Fixed Loop: Two vehicles that come every 10 to 15 minutes at designated stops
- Designated stops: City-owned parking facilities and additional stop at the passenger pick-up and drop-off bay adjacent to Beach Place
- Service coming in August 2022 (we are aiming to roll it out in mid-August)
- Big News From Acton Academy (sponsor of this newsletter). We have moved into our new location (2250 SW 31st Ave in the Riverland neighborhood). We are in the process of finalizing our approval for the FES and SUFS scholarship programs. We are actively enrolling new families in our Elementary age studio. Drop us a note if you have questions!
- PLANTA is now open on Las Olas Boulevard for dinner, with lunch and brunch coming soon! PLANTA is a celebration of innovative and plant-based Asian-inspired cuisine by Chef David Lee. Location: 1201 E Las Olas Boulevard.
- Coral Cliffs Rock Climbing Center. SOUTH FLORIDA'S COMPLETE INDOOR CLIMBING GYM. WE HAVE FACILITIES FOR ALL LEVELS OF CLIMBERS. $19 for a 1 day pass plus $10 for all the gear you need. Offering Kid-friendly classes.
- Bluefoot Pirate Adventures. This is a pirate simulation for children in the waterway. Round up your roughest and toughest gang of pirates and BYOB for a fun and memorable Fort Lauderdale sunset cruise aboard the Bluefoot, perfect for all you “big pirates.” Starts at $29 per passenger.
Flotsam & Jetsam
Have you watched Cha Cha Real Smooth on Apple+ TV? This heart-warming story about a young man figuring out what it means to be an adult, while befriending an autistic teenager was a surprise find of the summer. Includes swearing and sexual situations, so not appropriate for our "family-friendly" label - but one you don't want to miss.
I don't know what it is about Apple TV, but they have struck gold with "likeable characters who I want to be when I grow up" (yes, that means you Ted Lasso, Roy, and Finch - played by Tom Hanks).
Tell Us How We Are Doing
We are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners. We want to hear from you. What do you love? How could we do better?
And most importantly, what FTL businesses and experiences should we be highlighting?