What do you have planned this week? We used to always find out about the coolest events a day or two after they happened. Not anymore... with FFFTL we've keep you in the Loop, on the beach, and in the know! This week?
- We've got food trucks, a top 100 in the nation art show, beach sweep, and FLIBS;
- Craftoberfest is back and on tap, plus a Vegan Block Party to visit;
- Magic in the air (then vanishing) and Little Shop of Horrors starts a 2-week run!
Things You Won't Want To Miss This Week:
- Friday night, Food In Motion is back at Peter Feldman Park. This means a Food Truck Rally and Artisan Market starting at 6pm. And of course the playground is right there for the little ones to run and play too! (Free)
- Lots going on this weekend. Get up early and help with the Beach Sweep Clean-up (hosted by MODS) at Eula Johnson State Park. Our Acton community of families will be participating as it is one of our favorite events for doing good and having fun at the same time. (Free)
- If the beach is not your thing, First Street Cars & Coffee will be going Saturday morning as well.
- Both Saturday and Sunday it is time for the always popular, 35th Annual Las Olas Art Fair. They will be closing off the main portion of Las Olas and filling it with amazing artists displaying their work. This event is a must see. Ranked as one of the top 100 art festivals in the nation. Starts at 10am. (Free)
- Saturday afternoon, Riverwalk is hosting its Annual Fall Fest at Esplanade Park. Starting at noon, there will be food trucks, themed games, a pumpkin decorating contest, and a beer garden for the adults. (Free)
- Over at Huizenga Park, it will be the Vegan Block Party, from 2pm to 9pm. This event will feature food trucks, music, and activities for the whole family. (General Admission Tickets & Kids Under 10 are Free)
- Saturday afternoon and evening, the Craftoberfest is back at The Historic Downtowner, after a 2-year absence. They will close the street, set up tents, stages, bars, and tables so that everyone can enjoy great music, great food, libations, and the cool fall air (hopefully!) with a full music lineup headed by the incredible Mr. Nice Guy Band. (Free)
- Sunday afternoon there is the Mind Blowing Magic of Bill Blagg at the Broward Center. Watch objects float in mid-air and then vanish with the blink of an eye. This will be an interactive magic experience. (Tickets)
- Also starting this weekend is a 2-week run of Little Shop of Horrors at the Broward Center. A deviously delicious Broadway and Hollywood sci-fi smash musical. (Tickets)
Featured Fort Lauderdale
The outdoor show spans nearly 90 acres over three million square feet of exhibition space featuring more than 1,000 boats and yachts, including multiple cafes and food and beverage garden options for taking breaks.
Superyacht Village is back in 2022, located at Pier Sixty-Six Hotel & Marina's Pier South property adjacent to the southeast corner of the 17th Street Causeway, boasting eye-popping superyachts and exhibits.
💎 NEW SECTION: Kindness Callouts
This week we want to say thanks to Christa and Christina of Pembroke Pines, not only for their generous support of our school, but also contributing the elbow grease to help us tackle several "fix it up" projects. We call that kindness of spirit, willingness to help, and vision as we build towards the future.
We thank Toni Frallicciardi of Surf Skate and Science for organizing, Shiren Rattigan of Colossal Academy for hosting, and Kerry McDonald (with Forbes and the LiberatED podcast) for visiting our gathering of South Florida alternative education providers last weekend! We call that leadership and collaboration.
So... You Think You Know Fort Lauderdale?
Do you know why... the Fort Lauderdale name is so famously known?
Fort Lauderdale was featured in a popular 1960s movie, “Where the Boys Are”. The raucous movie was about (you guessed it) spring break. Soon after the movie released, college students flocked to the area en masse for a sun and sand filled getaway.
Today, Fort Lauderdale is still a popular spring break destination but has severely toned down the college craziness. it is now becoming known as a world-class city with all the amenities of a bigger city close at hand - and explosive growth in both people and culture. There is SO much more to see and do than just the beaches!
- What makes Acton different? The real learning happens when the adults get out of the way and go quiet in the Studio. This video explains why learners taking ownership that makes all the difference. The result is creations like below (the Acton entry into the international Lib Dub contest - filmed and created 100% by the learners).
- 28 positive Google Reviews. When you own an RV you want someone you can trust with your investment. Try Reliable RV Services in Davie and see why owners count on Christina.
- Thinking about welcoming a new wee little one into the family? Then you will want to know about Coastal Midwifery for home and water births.
- Driving through Dania Beach? Make sure you stop at Vegan Junkie. Vegan Junkie is on a mission to set a new tradition for fast food! We are a Quick Service Gourmet, Artisanal Burger Food Truck, creating the most unique Handcrafted Plant Based burgers with the freshest, highest quality, locally-sourced ingredients that are 100% soy free.
- On the other side of Fort Lauderdale, stop by New York Style Grilled Cheese in Wilton Manors. Home of The Waffled Grilled Cheese®, this extraordinary restaurant concept dishes out a dramatic makeover, inside and out, taking the classic grilled cheese out of the frying pan and into the waffle press!
Flotsam & Jetsam
Sometimes you just need to see a picture once... and the "toothpaste is out of the tube."
That means you cannot un-see that image. And if it a good one (like below) it will stick with you for a lifetime.
What kind of "mental nutrition" are you feeding yourself these days?
Tell Us How We Are Doing
We are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners. We want to hear from you. What do you love? How could we do better?
And most importantly, what FTL businesses and experiences should we be highlighting?