If you were wondering what to do this weekend, there are tons of choices and we didn't even feature the International Boat Show (largest on-the-water boatshow in the world!) taking place today through Sunday.
- Lot's to pick from for All-Hallows Eve (see the list below)
- Pumpkin carving contest at Tarpon River
- And the MASS District ArtWalk is back!
Things You Won't Want To Miss This Week:
- Time to get your costume and celebrate with the Halloween Party Events planned for next Friday night at Riverland Park and Saturday at Croissant Park. All events here are hosted by Fort Lauderdale Parks & Rec as part of their LauderBoo celebration. (Free)
- Friday and Saturday it is Spooktacular Science at MODS. Families will see how the creatures we may call “creepy” or “crawly” (snakes, lizards, tarantulas and scorpions) play an important role in the world we live in and learn what we can do to conserve them. Using engineering skills and the engineering design process in The Hangar, MODS’ Makerspace, guests will construct a spooky structure using recycled and reusable materials and learn how to create a haunted house setting with dry ice and soap! It’s sure to be a spook-tacular time! (Free with admission)
- Want to catch a Halloween themed show? Over at the Broward Center on Friday night they have Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas, with the South Florida Symphony Orchestra. (Tickets Still Available)
- Or maybe you want to be part of the show? If you want to explore a Whodunnit Mystery (for Teens and Adults), visit the Broward Library (Main Branch) for Mystery at Main: At Sea with a Key from 2-5pm on Saturday. You and your team will work with Detective D. Ketchum, a quirky Fort Lauderdale homicide detective, in interviewing a list of sketchy suspects. (Free and registration requested)
- Saturday is also for our volunteers. It is the City of Fort Lauderdale's Make A Difference Day, with volunteer teams activating on projects all over the City, from installing Little Free Libraries to painting murals and street cleanups. Lot's of options to pick from. (Free)
- You can express your creativity at Tarpon River Brewing on Saturday with the Second Annual Pumpkin Carving and Contest. (Tickets)
- Saturday is also our next MASS District ArtWalk. Enjoy live music from local musicians, shop original works of art, unique garbs, and many other handmade crafts at the #VillageShops market. Experience the vibrant energy and artistic expression of MASS District & its' venues and grab a bite from an alluring array of some of South Florida’s best food venues, food trucks, and vendors. (Free)
- Sunday during the day it is the New River Open Air Market in Old Fort Lauderdale Village. And that night, it is Haunting On The River - a Ghost Tour like never before! Work with the experts and learn how paranormal investigators uncover the truth behind hauntings. (Market is Free; Tickets For The Haunting)
Featured Fort Lauderdale
This past weekend, we attended the FINtastic HallowFINS Festival at B Ocean Resort on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. While there lots of activities going that day (scavenger hunts, markets, etc) - we were there for a "swim with the mermaids" event that was a highlight for our 9-year-old.
Every Saturday at noon, the ladies from Coral Reef Mermaids perform a lunch + show at the Wreck (looks like a sunken ship). Go early for pics with the mermaids before the show. This is an interactive show where the audience helps the mermaids on an adventure, while caring for the ocean at the same time. Not sure yet when they will do their next "swim with the mermaids" event but it might just be a big hit with your little ones too!
So... You Think You Know Fort Lauderdale?
Do you know about... the Circuit Rider app?
It is a A free and fun way to get around -- have you had a chance to ride with Circuit? To learn more about the service, or download the app, visit ridecircuit.com
Ridership has grown 4 times since the program launched in August. With over 10,000 rides given during the month of September, Circuit is emerging as a popular option to get around Downtown FTL.
- Acton Academy Fort Lauderdale - a radical approach to your child's education AND now accepting Family Choice scholarships!
Flotsam & Jetsam
It was 11-years-ago this month that Apple Founder and iPhone icon Steve Jobs passed away. He still makes his mark on our world with the ubiquitous tech products that he envisioned before people even knew they wanted them.
Have you heard about the Steve Jobs Archive? This is a passion project about the set of core ideals that motivated Steve and his teams throughout his life. It is interesting to see the timeline of events and interviews. The Walter Isaacson biography is also a "not to miss" for those who want to soak in the wisdom of this unusual tech titan.
Tell Us How We Are Doing
We are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners. We want to hear from you. What do you love? How could we do better?
And most importantly, what FTL businesses and experiences should we be highlighting?