Tuesday, February 6th - 2024 - From Noon Tunes to a Silent Piano Journey and a Chili Cookoff, explore Ft. Lauderdale's eclectic events. Discover hidden treasures this week!👇
Stuff You Won't Want To Miss:
- Noon Tunes is back in the downtown this week, starting on Wednesday. This is a great way to grab some lunch, sit outside, listen to the music and enjoy Stranahan Park (behind the Women's Club and Main Library). This week it is the Pitbull of Blues. Next week the Andrew Morris Band. And then the Big Harvest Band on the 21st. (Free)
- Thursday night will be a unique experience with the MindTravel Live-to-Headphones Silent Piano Journey. this concert offers a serene setting where you can unwind and let the music transport you to a state of deep relaxation. As you put on your headphones, Murray Hidary's meditative compositions will flow directly into your ears, opening up deeper levels of consciousness and awareness. (Tickets)
- Thursday through Saturday the Opera will be on high at the Broward Center. Each program is accompanied by a pre-show lecture an hour before curtain with a talk-back session immediately following the performance. (Tickets)
- On Friday night in Oakland Park, you can see the Soul Fest, including music (Old Skool Gang), food, drinks, and activities for the children at Jaco Pastorius Park. (Free)
- Saturday morning the South Florida Animal Hospital is hosting another one of their Junior Wildlife Vet programs. These events are a ton of fun as children get to administer what they are learning with different "stuffy" species of South Florida. Make sure you sign up early as spots will fill up. (Register)
- Saturday afternoon at Esplanade Park is the 8th Annual Riverwalk Chili Cookoff. This event is free to attend. Attendees can purchase sampling packs with voting chips to participate in judging, In addition to sampling all varieties of chili (meatless, vegan, mild and spicy), there will be fun activities for the whole family, music and exciting vendors to explore. Amateur and professionals are invited to form teams and battle for the title of “BEST Chili in Fort Lauderdale.” (Free)
- Come out on Saturday for the ONE TAMARAC Multicultural Festival. The whole community will be celebrating the many faces and many voices which make up our South Florida neighborhoods. Featuring a variety of cultural performances, cultural exhibition area, a children’s fun zone, food vendors, and a laser light show. (Free)
- Also on Saturday is ArtLit from the Broward County Library. One of the signature events of the year, ArtLit 2024 is a free, popular community celebration of art and literature for all ages. Artit 2024 explores the Caribbean cultures of Jamaica, Haiti, and Trinidad-Tobago with a playful explosion of live music, art, spoken word and interactive experiences with local businesses, government agencies, crafters and more. There will be food samples, food for sale, giveaways and opportunities to meet local artists and authors. (Free)
- Or Saturday night you could go Ghost Hunting with Haunting On The River. Experience a Ghost Tour like never before! Work with the experts and learn how paranormal investigators uncover the truth behind hauntings. (Tickets)
- Saturday AND Sunday, you can see Teen Broadway presenting Snowy And The Seven Affirmations at the YMCA/Mizell Community Center. The story is a contemporary reimagining of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs that brings awareness to the beauty of embracing individuality and celebrating differences in the face of societal expectations. (Tickets)
- Sunday is the Valentine's Farmer's and Artisan Market. There will be live music between 1 and 3pm. Lot's to see, do, and buy. (Free)
Hey - quick question. What did we miss? Each week we do our research but you might know of an event, an organization, or a local business that deserves some love here in our weekly basket of goodies. Just hit reply to this email and let us know!
FEATURED Fort Lauderdale
Mentioned above, on Saturday is the Junior Wildlife Vet program from the South Florida Animal Hospital. This hidden treasure is close to Synder Park and runs regular events for children to learn more about the local animals.
We participated in the one of the workshops at the end of last year and it was a big hit. Each child worked on an "in-take" form for the stuffed animal of their choice. They looked at x-rays, bandaged broken wings, weighed and measured the animals. It was a fun day of getting a peek behind the scenes of what a wildlife vet faces each day.
We even recorded a podcast with Khrystyne Jamerson of the wildlife center to talk about their work in the community.
Do you have a favorite event, place, business, or organization you would like to see featured on the podcast? HIT REPLY and let us know!
So... You Think You Know South Florida?
You probably know... South Florida is famous for its cool cars of every make and model.
With the goal of promoting the history and preservation of our scientific past, Dauer Classic Cars showcases a time when the United States led the world in, well, everything. From cars to memorabilia, from devices to science and technology too, this blast from the past will leave you feeling inspired by our history and eager for the future.
Boasting over 55 classic cars in pristine condition from 1906 to 2020, you’ll find automobiles like Buick, Cadillac, Chryslers, Rolls Royce, Bentley, and even some European and Italian cars. Plus, the museum highlights the industrial power and scientific discoveries of how our beautiful country led the world in industrial manufacturing, scientific discovery, and innovation.
Big shoutout to FFFTL reader Keren M for sharing this new addition to our list of places you won't want to miss!
In Keren's words: "The Dauer Museum is a great selection of classic cars and it's a great way to learn some history!"
- The Fort Lauderdale event is slated for May 11th at MODS. Applications will open up in February.
- Have you picked up your 50th Anniversary special edition Broward County Library card yet? Broward County Libraries Division, named 2020 and 2015 "Library of the Year" by the Florida Library Association, is marking its 50th Anniversary in 2024. Special 50th Anniversary buttons, stickers and library cards are now available at all Broward County Library locations.
- Looking to help your child build confidence through self-defense? Come out Saturday for the Youth Self-Defense Camp by Diamond In The Rough Gym. The goal is to teach children practical skills to protect themselves and stay safe in various situations. From basic strikes and kicks to effective defense strategies, each child will gain valuable knowledge in a fun and supportive environment.
- The Florida Renaissance Festival is here and Weekend One means free admission for Kids and Scouts. It’s a celebration of youth, wonder, and pure joy. For this special weekend, we want to ensure that families can come together and create unforgettable memories. From thrilling rides to interactive exhibits, and tasty treats to live entertainment, this event is a treasure trove of delight for all ages.
Quote Of The Week
Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart.
~ Eleanor Roosevelt
This quote was sourced by Newsletter Apprentice Maya M.
Eleanor Roosevelt was First Lady of the United States from 1933 to 1945. She was known for her role in advocating for expanded roles for women in the workplace, the civil rights of African Americans and Asian Americans, and the rights of World War II refugees. Following her husband's death in 1945, Roosevelt remained active in politics for the remaining 17 years of her life.
Flotsam & Jetsam
Today's Flotsam was promised for a couple of weeks, because at the school we have a number of aspiring "paper aviators" who love to explore different folding designs. So in honor of these budding jet-builders, we thought we would resurface a popular share from a past edition of the newsletter - and that is the Fold 'N Fly database of paper airplane designs.
This is a database of paper airplanes with easy-to-follow folding instructions, video tutorials and printable folding plans. Find the best paper airplanes that fly the furthest and stay aloft the longest. Learn how to make paper airplanes that will impress your friends.
Tell Us How We Are Doing
Every week we are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners.
We want to hear from you. What do you love? What could we do better FOR YOU?