Tuesday, September 19th - 2023 - In the water (Mermaids), by the river (Fall Festival), on the rails (Thomas and Friends) or on the big screen (Jane Goodall), and in the sky (South Florida Space Day) there is a bit of something for everyone! Take a look at your "basket of goodies" we put together for you this week 👇
Stuff You Won't Want To Miss:
- Come out Friday night for the Founding Families Fall Festival at the Stranahan House in downtown Fort Lauderdale. From 5-8pm There will be food trucks, beer and wine vendors, games for people of all ages, live music, and... we are bringing our Thumb Buddy Make & Take activity table! See you there for what looks to be a great night on the Riverwalk and right next to Las Olas. (Free)
- On Saturday you can enjoy the Mermaids at B Ocean Resort's Wreck Bar from 11am-3pm for their signature Sunday brunch with bottomless mimosas. Enjoy a delicious meal while watching their mermaids swim in the background. Don’t miss the photo opportunities! (Tickets)
- Also on Saturday, is another afternoon event at Esplanade. This one is Libations By The River. Come our for an incredible afternoon celebrating craft beers, cocktails, and wine along Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale. A great selection of Food Trucks will also join in on the fun to tantalize your taste buds along with craft and specialty vendors and live music. Admission is free. The $35 Sampling Ticket allows you to sample different flavors and discover new favorites. (Free)
- Thomas The Train and Friends have arrived at the Museum of Discovery & Science (MODS). Learn valuable STEM skills throughout the exhibit by building an intricate wooden train set, assembling a large train and navigating through Thomas’ imaginary world. (Free with Admission)
- Also at MODS - the Jane Goodall: Reasons For Hope documentary opens on Thursday. Throughout, the film reinforces Jane’s four pillars of hope that signal tremendous hope for the future: the amazing human intellect, the resilience of nature, the power and dedication of young people, and the indomitable human spirit. (Tickets)
- It's Hispanic Heritage Month (until Oct 15th) in the city of Fort Lauderdale, with multiple events hosted down at The Loop at Oceanside Park. There will be music, artisans and food to enjoy! One highlight will be on September 29th, when they show the film Coco for the Movies By Moonlight, kicked off with a live mariachi band playing to get us all in the spirit. (Free)
- Visit History Fort Lauderdale until the middle of next month to see "Viva Fort Lauderdale" celebrating Hispanic arts and culture with work from local artists, including Leonardo Montoya (Colombia), Lifrancis Rojas (Venezuela), Isabel Perez Salazar (Venezuela), and Florencia Clement de Grandprey (Spain). (Free with Admission)
- Also on Sunday, October 15th - come out to TY Park for the Heal The Planet Run/Walk. The AAFTL Team will be back again this year in the Kids Zone with our table of Thumb Buddy Make & Take Badge-Making.
FEATURED Fort Lauderdale
Thursday is South Florida Space Day at the Alan B. Levan Center for Innovation at NSU. All day long there will be keynote speakers, panel discussions, a business expo, and an entrepreneur showcase. Here are some of the sights and sounds from last year's event that put South Floriday space industry on the map (and in the sky)!
So... You Think You Know Fort Lauderdale?
You probably know... Fort Lauderdale has a proud history of supporting and playing key roles for our military.
But what you might not know is... that Fort Lauderdale was once the site of a major World War II secret intelligence operation.
During the war, the U.S. Navy established a top-secret code-breaking and intelligence-gathering center in Fort Lauderdale called Station HYPO. The station was responsible for intercepting and deciphering Japanese naval communications, which played a critical role in the U.S. victory in the Pacific. The operation was so secretive that even the residents of Fort Lauderdale didn't know about it at the time, and the area around the station was off-limits to the public.
Today, the site is home to the Bahia Mar Yachting Center, but a historical marker commemorates its important wartime role.
Classifieds & Giveaways
- Have you been out to visit Store Liquidators of Fort Lauderdale? Online Auction and Amazon Bin Store with multiple locations throughout the USA. Located at 1000 NW 24th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
- Next month The Symphony of The Americas will kick off its 2023-2024 season with its 7 Concert Series at the Amaturo Theater (The Broward Center) with the following shows: The Music of John Williams (Oct 1-3); Symphonic Fireworks – Beethoven's Fifth (Oct 31-Nov1); Holiday Pops! Holidays with the Symphony (Dec 4-5); Trailblazers! – The Women of Symphonic Music (Jan 9); Symphonic Stories (Feb 20); Broadway - The Showstoppers! (April 8-9); Symphonic Finale – Zukerman and Brahms (May 5-7). (Tickets)
- Got an upcoming event and want to make a great impression? Call on Perfect Look Photos for 360-degree photo booths, Selfie Stations, and event photographers that will have your guests buzzing like it was a red carpet event - and they were the stars!
- Are you an artist? Check out the Riverwalk's Call To Artists and maybe your work will go on display to celebrate the 35th anniversary! The winning artwork will grace the cover of a future issue of Go Riverwalk Magazine.
Quote Of The Week
“You are never given a wish without also being given the power to make it true. You may have to work for it, however. There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in its hands. You seek problems because you need their gifts.”
~ Richard Bach, from the book Illusions
Flotsam & Jetsam
Each week we've been sharing some fun new AI tools that you can experiment with. Last week's "Can You Guess The Florida Man Headlines" was a big hit. This week, we are humming along in a more musical way.
Tell Us How We Are Doing
Every week we are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners.
We want to hear from you. What do you love? What could we do better FOR YOU?