Wednesday, September 13th - 2023 - This week we talked to the folks planning the Founding Family Fall Festival at the Stranahan House right on the river in downtown Fort Lauderdale. We have a line-up of events, deals, and things to do. Plus... make sure you scroll to the bottom and test your 'Florida Man' knowledge. You gotta try this!
Stuff You Won't Want To Miss:
- Saturday will be a busy day. Start with the Victory Youth Arts Workshops at the YMCA/Mizell Community Center from 10am to Noon. Then in the evening, the children get to run and play (and a break for the parents) with Kids Adventures After Dark at MODS. (Register as their is limited space for both)
- There's a lot more going on at MODS that is worth checking out. The Thomas The Train exhibit will be opening up this weekend. Weekends in September and October will also be two months of Planes, Trains, and Automobiles at MODS.
- On Sunday, the South Florida Vegans (I didn't know that was a thing!) are gathering at History Fort Lauderdale. There will be live music, networking, and a "Vegan Village" marketplace to explore. (Tickets)
- Starting this weekend (Sept 15 to Oct 15) it's Hispanic Heritage Month in the city of Fort Lauderdale, with multiple events hosted down at The Loop at Oceanside Park. There will be music, artisans and food to enjoy! One highlight will be on September 29th, when they show the film Coco for the Movies By Moonlight, kicked off with a live mariachi band playing to get us all in the spirit. (Free)
- Speaking of The Loop events, did you also know that the fitness events are back on for fall? Sunrise Kettlebell workouts are running on Wednesday and Friday mornings. And on Thursday evenings they are doing Rooftop Yoga. On the fourth Sunday of the month, it's Animal Flow. Check out the full list of fitness events to pick from. (Remember to Register)
- Don't forget that later this month, save the date for September 30th for Artoberfest in MASS District. Enjoy live music from local musicians, shop original works of art, unique garbs, and many other handmade crafts at our #VillageShops market. Experience the vibrant energy and artistic expression of MASS District & its' venues and grab a bite from an alluring array of some of South Florida’s best food trucks. (Free or Tickets)
- It's not too late to get your deals on meals with the Dine Out Lauderdale ending on September 30th. Explore the more than 110 participating restaurants and eateries throughout the region are featuring prix fixe menus at $45, $55 or a luxe option for $75, plus additional discounts on sweets and treats, brunches, happy hours, and exclusive culinary experiences. (Get Your Dining Pass)
- Also from now until the end of the month - you can get a deal with Broward Attractions and Museums Month. From the Flamingo Gardens to the Jungle Queen, there are dozens of adventures to explore. (Get Your Tickets)
Hey - quick question. What did we miss? Each week we do our research but you might know of an event, an organization, or a local business that deserves some love here in our weekly basket of goodies. Just hit reply to this email and let us know!
FEATURED Fort Lauderdale
Spend any amount of time around Fort Lauderdale and you will recognize the Stranahan name. But you might not know the full story about Frank and Ivy Stranahan, and their roles as a pioneer family who found our beautiful city on the New River.
This week we talked with Michelle Palmesano, Development Coordinator with the Stranahan House about their upcoming event on September 22nd - The Founding Families Fall Festival. What a great way to combine community + living history + a celebration of that Founding Family spirit that makes our city what it is!
Do you have a favorite event, place, business, or organization you would like to see featured on the podcast?
So... You Think You Know Fort Lauderdale?
But what you might not know is... Jenni also hosts a regular video series called The Pulse, where she welcomes guests to talk about their take. Check out the latest as Jenni sat down with Dovehill Capital’s Jake Wurzak to dive into the city’s evolving tourism scene.
Classifieds & Giveaways
- Have you been out to visit Store Liquidators of Fort Lauderdale? Online Auction and Amazon Bin Store with multiple locations throughout the USA. Located at 1000 NW 24th Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
- Next month The Symphony of The Americas will kick off its 2023-2024 season with its 7 Concert Series at the Amaturo Theater (The Broward Center) with the following shows: The Music of John Williams (Oct 1-3); Symphonic Fireworks – Beethoven's Fifth (Oct 31-Nov1); Holiday Pops! Holidays with the Symphony (Dec 4-5); Trailblazers! – The Women of Symphonic Music (Jan 9); Symphonic Stories (Feb 20); Broadway - The Showstoppers! (April 8-9); Symphonic Finale – Zukerman and Brahms (May 5-7). (Tickets)
- Got an upcoming event and want to make a great impression? Call on Perfect Look Photos for 360-degree photo booths, Selfie Stations, and event photographers that will have your guests buzzing like it was a red carpet event - and they were the stars!
- Are you an artist? Check out the Riverwalk's Call To Artists and maybe your work will go on display to celebrate the 35th anniversary! The winning artwork will grace the cover of a future issue of Go Riverwalk Magazine.
Quote Of The Week
Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
~ Howard Thurman
Flotsam & Jetsam
Okay... this one will make you laugh. And test your "local" knowledge at the same time!
You guys know I am a bit nerdy about all this AI stuff that is being rolled out. But here is one of the most unique uses I've seen. Think of it like a kind of "Turing Test" (can you tell what is real and what is fabricated) but specifically for residents of our great state of Florida.
With Florida man headlines being so unreal and logic-defying, can you reliably distinguish between a real headline and something that's just made up? Find out now.
Tell Us How We Are Doing
Every week we are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners.
We want to hear from you. What do you love? What could we do better FOR YOU?
And most importantly, what FTL businesses and experiences should we be highlighting?