Tuesday, September 5th - 2023 - The Fall season is certainly underway and you can see it in our calendar of upcoming events... wow there is a lot of cool stuff to pick from! Movies to pick from, symphony dates to savor, events at Esplanade... and never to early to start getting ready for your (cardboard) nautical adventures! Plus a yummy recipe below from our all-around "Fungi" 🍄
Stuff You Won't Want To Miss:
- On Wednesday afternoon, come play Loteria at the Broward County Main Library. Lotería is a traditional Mexican game of chance that is similar to bingo but uses images on a deck of cards instead of numbered ping pong balls. Join us for a fun and exciting afternoon of lotería with the whole family! (Free)
- Feeling like catching a flick? Until September 7th, Barbie is at Savor Cinema, and Golda is at Cinema Paradiso. Maybe this was the power couple that was meant to be instead of "Barbenheimer"... and the watch party for My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3 is on Friday. There is also a screening party for The Creator(s) at Savor Cinema on Sunday. (Tickets)
- Also on Thursday (free first Thursday of the month), the NSU Art Museum is hosting its Sunny Days/Starry Nights event. And from 4:30 to 6:30pm there will be free drop-in art-making activities for children inspired by a current exhibition. (Free)
- The same night (Thursday) at the NSU Art Museum, aspiring artists will want to come out for Speaking from the Future: Career Advice for Aspiring Artists. (Free but Pre-Registration Required)
- Friday night, Food in Motion is back but in a new location. Peter Feldman Park is under construction, so Food In Motion is moving over to Esplanade. Come for the food, but stay for the music, games, and camraderie. (Free)
- On Saturday, come out for the 9th annual Female Brew Fest at Esplanade Park. FemAle Brew Fest is a craft beer festival for ALL beer lovers (men included) ... the festival is not just about serving beers. This beer festival is a platform highlighting and featuring female beer experts and brewers in the beer industry, offering an opportunity to learn about and taste the different types of beers brewed by them - all while listening to the sounds of Dj LaTrice Perry. (Tickets)
- Also on Saturday, at Revolution there will be. a big Taco and Margarita Festival. For all ages and pet friendly, this event will include Tacos - Margaritas - Local Shopping - LIVE DJs & Music!- Taco Eating Contest - Hot Chili Pepper Eating Contest. (Tickets)
- Sunday, the Sunny Side Up Farmer's and Artisan Market is back in MASS District. Enjoy the live music and shop local artisans plus enjoy delicious food and craft cocktails! (Free)
- Next month The Symphony of The Americas will kick off its 2023-2024 season with its 7 Concert Series at the Amaturo Theater (The Broward Center) with the following shows: The Music of John Williams (Oct 1-3); Symphonic Fireworks – Beethoven's Fifth (Oct 31-Nov1); Holiday Pops! Holidays with the Symphony (Dec 4-5); Trailblazers! – The Women of Symphonic Music (Jan 9); Symphonic Stories (Feb 20); Broadway - The Showstoppers! (April 8-9); Symphonic Finale – Zukerman and Brahms (May 5-7). (Tickets)
- And later this month, save the date on September 30th for the Artoberfest in MASS District. Enjoy live music from local musicians, shop original works of art, unique garbs, and many other handmade crafts at our #VillageShops market. Experience the vibrant energy and artistic expression of MASS District & its' venues and grab a bite from an alluring array of some of South Florida’s best food trucks. (Free or Tickets)
Hey - quick question. What did we miss? Each week we do our research but you might know of an event, an organization, or a local business that deserves some love here in our weekly basket of goodies. Just hit reply to this email and let us know!
FEATURED Fort Lauderdale
All boats must be built off-site, in advance and according to specifications outlined in your registration packet. This is a fun, family oriented event, and we'd love for you to be a part of the action. Create a team name and theme for your vessel and come join in on the fun and excitement.
See the innovative designs and witness the sheer will to win all the racers share. Be amazed and amused as they speed across the water in their quest for the ultimate prize -- the coveted trophy. The fun begins at 10:00am!
So... You Think You Know Fort Lauderdale?
You probably know... that the City of Fort Lauderdale recently named Greg Chavarria the New City Manager (removing his interim title) after he stepped in at the departure of Chris Lagerbloom.
But what you might not know is... that our new City Manager has brought a new vibe with his leadership. From trumpeting the #WeAreFTL hashtag across all the social channels to promote City spirit to launching the new FTL Connect magazine to bring neighbors together and in the know. There's a bit of something for everyone in the just published Summer/Fall edition.
Classifieds & Giveaways
- Got an upcoming event and want to make a great impression? Call on Perfect Look Photos for 360-degree photo booths, Selfie Stations, and event photographers that will have your guests buzzing like it was a red carpet event - and they were the stars!
- We are 2 weeks into the school year and already meeting with a lot of prospective families who are seeing that the traditional classroom is just not working for their child. Consider doing something RADICAL, and giving them the kind of school you would have loved to attend yourself... one where they get to shape the learning environment themselves. Watch some of the videos and see the difference at ActonAcademyFL.com
- The 38th Annual Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival (FLIFF) is coming in November. And they need volunteers! Come support and show your cinephile side. The Volunteers Signup event (and movie) is on September 12th at Savor Cinema.
Quote Of The Week
"If we could see the whole truth of any situation, our only response would be one of compassion.”
— Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
Flotsam & Jetsam
Here's a little TikTok creativity for you from Acton Guide Tyler (Mr "T") who loves mushrooms and is an all-around "Fungi" - check out his latest "how-to" video on classic dishes from around the world... that you can make at home!
Tell Us How We Are Doing
Every week we are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners.
We want to hear from you. What do you love? What could we do better FOR YOU?