Tuesday, April 18th - 2023 - This weekend kicks off Fleet Week and that doesn't even count the Marine Industries Plywood Regatta maker event on Saturday and Sunday. There is also BBQ at Esplanade, Cornhole for a good cause in Wilton Manners, and the Pineapple Jam to support the Stranahan House. Plus... what could you say (that is more effective) when your child says... "I can't!" 🤔
Enjoy this week's basket of goodies 👇
Stuff You Won't Want To Miss:
- Wednesday it's Open Mic Night at Lyrics Lab in Pompano Beach. Lyrics Lab is a unique, no-ego, open-mic night now at a NEW LOCATION: Ali Cultural Arts Center, in Pompano Beach, every 3rd Wednesday of the month from 8 – 10 PM. (Free)
- “Learn. Work. Win.” Job and Educational Opportunity Fair on Thursday, at the Urban League of Broward County from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., please see the following link on our website for more details.
- Friday night Sound Waves is back! This Friday it's... Get ready to have a great time with The Goodnicks, a guitar-driven pop/rock/country band who will get everyone’s feet moving and hearts pumping with their infectious tunes from the 80s to today. (Free)
- Also Friday night, it's the 27th Annual Las Olas Wine & Food Festival. This is a 4 block takeover of FTL's most inconic street. Guests will sip, sample, and enjoy dishes from a number of South Florida’s finest restaurants and international wineries, spirits brands, and breweries. (Tickets)
- And its Art, Wellness, and Mental Health as the theme at ArtServe for the new Art Exhibit. Friday night from 6-9pm. The reception features a panel discussion of top local psychology professionals and a local artist. Moderated by Funding Arts Broward Director of Administration Kat Sierra. (Free)
- This weekend marks the annual Plywood Regatta, sponsored by the Marine Industries Association. Teams of middle school, high school, and marine technical school students will attempt to build sea-worth vessels in one day, using simple hand-tools and only the supplied materials of: plywood, 3M 5200 fast cure caulk, and zip ties. Once the boats are built, the students paint, decorate, and name their boats. On day 2 of the event, participants will compete in a fun-filled and friendly rivalry as they line up their boats to test them in the water and race each other in a series of heats to determine an event champion. (free)
- If you are into building stuff, MODS is hosting its Build A Better World Weekends in April. (Free with Admission)
- Saturday the Riverwalk heats up, with the Smoke On The Water BBQ Feast at Esplanade Park. Come enjoy mouthwatering BBQ dishes along the New River for the return of Riverwalk Smoke on the Water BBQ Feast. South Florida’s best pit masters, restaurants, and food trucks will showcase their unique styles and flavors of BBQ ranging from traditional Southern-Style to International Fusion. (Free)
- Or slide on over to Wilton Manners on Saturday for the Toss Fur Paws fundraiser The Pet Project. Play Cornhole for a good cause. There's even a raffle to win a 75" TV to light up your living room!
- Saturday is also the Summer Theatre Camp Open House at the Miniaci Performing Arts Center. This is a perfect opportunity to make new friends, be taught by professional performing arts teachers, and have fun putting on an amazing show. The camp offers students the chance to study singing, dancing and acting while rehearsing for a theatrical production culminating in a final performance on stage at the Broward Center. (Free)
- Saturday night the Stranahan House is hosting The Pineapple Jam, a fun evening to support Broward County’s oldest and most historically significant home! (Tickets)
- And not too late to get in for this month's Haunting On The River Saturday night. Join Haunted South Florida at History Fort Lauderdale and discover what it takes to be a true paranormal investigator. Learn about the tools paranormal investigators use to explore and explain hauntings. Then put your knowledge to use! Join Haunted South Florida as you tour some of the oldest historic buildings in Fort Lauderdale searching for your very own paranormal encounter. (Tickets)
- Sunday begins a full week of festivities for Fort Lauderdale's Fleet Week. If you were unable to get tickets for ship tours, here is the next best way to see the ships: Join us at NSU Guy Harvey Oceanographic Center on Sunday, April 23 from 7 a.m. - 10 a.m. to watch the visiting ships pull into Port Everglades for Fleet Week. Bring a lawn chair and we'll have coffee and donuts. Most importantly, prepare to be amazed by the sight of the four stunning ships with Sailors and Marines "manning the rails." $25 donation requested. (Tickets)
- Sunday is also Sensory-friendly fun at MODS (our Museum of Discovery & Science). The goal is to provide a more sensory-sensitive environment for individuals on the autism spectrum, the theater lights will be turned up and the sound will be lowered. All films will be presented in 2D. No trailers will be shown before the movie. Audience members are welcome to get up, sing, walk, dance and shout without worrying about someone complaining. Families also are able to bring snacks from home, as well as blankets and other small items to be comfortable. (Free with Admission)
FEATURED Fort Lauderdale
In honor of Fleet Week starting on Sunday, we thought it might be fun to revisit our chat with Port Everglades Director Jonathan Daniels on this recent podcast.
Do you have a favorite event, place, business, or organization you would like to see featured on the podcast? HIT REPLY and let us know!
So... You Think You Know Fort Lauderdale?
You probably know... that Fort Lauderdale's has been nicknamed the 'Venice of America' because of its many networked canals and waterways. You could say boating is a thing in our community 😉
But what you might not know is... Fort Lauderdale actually has more canals than Venice, Italy? Fort Lauderdale has over 165 miles of navigable waterways, while Venice has around 26 miles.
Classifieds & Giveaways
- SEEKING sponsors for the 2023 Children's Business Fair (Saturday, June 10th at MODS). Specifically, would you like your business to "match" up to $1000 spent at the booths of our budding entrepreneurs? If interested, we have a cool way to promote your business for helping to make the dreams happen! Who knows, you might be the inspiration for the next Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos.
- “Learn. Work. Win.” Job and Educational Opportunity Fair on Thursday, April 20, at the Urban League of Broward County from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., please see the following link on our website for more details.
- Come out to the Sunny Side Village Store. Store location is on the NW corner of Breakers Ave, just 1 block west of A1A - 709 Breakers Ave. A cute little dining, relaxing shopping area. Follow @wildaboutpearlstoo, @pinkchrysantgemumco and @sunnysideup for more information.
Question Of The Week
- "Live and let live" ~ Unknown
- "Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
- "The only way to do great work is to love what you do." - Steve Jobs
- "Happiness is not something ready-made. It comes from your own actions." - Dalai Lama
- "Don't watch the clock; do what it does. Keep going." - Sam Levenson
- "Believe you can and you're halfway there." - Theodore Roosevelt
- "If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things." - Albert Einstein
- "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
- "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." - Robert Frost
- "Life is a journey, and if you fall in love with the journey, you will be in love forever." - Peter Hagerty
- "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Flotsam & Jetsam
What do you say to your child (or friend) when they say... "I can't?"
Confidence is born from learning, and learning is born from making mistakes, learning from those mistakes, and the experience that comes from making mistakes but still being able to move on.
Tell Us How We Are Doing
Every week we are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners.
We want to hear from you. What do you love? What could we do better FOR YOU?