Tuesday, February 14th, 2023 - Discuss, dance, eat, learn, explore, speak up, cast a line, listen with both ears, support those who need it - or just plain go Steampunk. There are tons of options for you this week in the Greater FTL! Happy Valentine's Day and all that jazz too ❤️
Stuff You Won't Want To Miss:
- TONIGHT - if you don't want to face the Valentine's Day rush, join us online for a 7pm Zoom discussion group about the topic of AI in Education. Hosted by Acton Academy Fort Lauderdale, we will be talking about how some schools are banning this new technology, and others are embracing it. Interested? Hit reply and we will connect you with details. (Free)
- Wednesday is time for Noon Tunes again. Great for all the folks who are already living or working downtown. This is held at Stranahan Park right beside The Women's Club off Broward Blvd. The performers this week will be Ploomie. Do you know them? (Free)
- Wednesday Night - come out to Pompano and the Ali Cultural Arts Center for Lyrics Lab Open Mic Night. Bring your latest work poems, verse, songs, lyrics, jokes, stories, and beats to share with renowned hosts and poets, accompanied by our Lyrics Lab house band and host Erick Carter. (Tickets)
- Also Wednesday Night, the South Florida Symphony Orchestra will be playing Brahms, Sibelius, and Berlioz at The Parker. Help celebrate the 25th anniversary 2022/23 season featuring five Masterworks concerts and Handel’s glorious holiday masterpiece Messiah. (Tickets)
- Saturday at Esplanade Park, it's the Riverwalk's 7th Annual Chili Cook-off. Chili lovers of all ages, Riverwalk supporters, and passers-by will sample the goods and vote to decide who takes home top honors in this food fête! The event will also feature music, vendors, and fun for all ages. (Free)
- If you didn't get your fill of Chili, do some good by filling your plate at The 21st Annual Andy’s Family Pasta Dinner benefitting LifeNet4Families to take place Sunday at the Signature Grand. Proceeds benefit LifeNet4Families, an organization dedicated to providing necessary food, ancillary services and referrals to those in need in Broward County. (Tickets)
- With it being Valentine's Week and all, join the Fort Lauderdale Women's Club and the Hibiscus Theater on Friday night for "The Bodyguard." Your ticket price includes the popcorn AND the chocolate! (Tickets)
- Each weekend (between now and March 26th) at Ren-Fest has a different theme. This weekend it is all about Steampunk and Time Travelers. Enter the Victorian age of industrialization as technology and innovation are rooted in gadgets and steam-powered inventions. (Tickets)
- Last month we had the Greek Festival. This week we celebrate Italian heritage with the St. Coleman's Italian Festival from Friday to Sunday. The St. Coleman’s Italian Festival is one of the only carnival attractions in Pompano Beach for the year. (Tickets)
- Closer to downtown, Dr. Ruggiero will be taking about the Stars of the Italian Renaissance at the NSU Art Museum on Saturday afternoon. Learn how Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Botticelli, Raphael, and Caravaggio won fame and earned a living during their lifetimes. (Tickets)
- Saturday night and with two shows to pick from, Illusionist Todd Sinelli will be performing at Casa del Mare Ristorante. Come for the dinner and the mind-expanding magic. (Tickets)
- For the shoppers and browsers, we always include a couple of links to the local markets, like those at TheLoopFLB or the New River Open Air Market. But have you visited the Saturday Market in Wilton Manors? Enjoy Latin food, music, pride, pups ‘n’ pets, health and wellness, the Exclusive Chef’s Mobile Kitchen, food trucks, artisan vendors, and so much more! (Free)
FEATURED FORT LAUDERDALE
What Does The Future of Fort Lauderdale Look Like? You can see all the building, but what is happening behind the scenes at the City level to help promote and innovate for all this growth. Today we spoke with Ben Sorensen, former Vice Mayor of Fort Lauderdale, and president of Sorensen Consulting.
Do you have a favorite event, place, business, or organization you would like to see featured on the podcast? HIT REPLY and let us know!
So... You Think You Know Fort Lauderdale?
You probably know... Fort Lauderdale is famous for its beaches, International Boat Show, and perpetual summer.
But you might not know is... We are also a world-class caliber fishing destination. Fresh water or Sea Water take your pick. From largemouth bass in the Everglades to catching tarpon on the intercoastal, there will be lot's of options and spring is one of the best times of year to fish!
As the winter winds subside, temperatures warm, and the ocean is usually calm, which is something all fishermen can appreciate. Instead of fishing in big waves, anglers can enjoy much easier fishing in the gentle sea conditions.
- Applications are OPEN for the 2023 Fort Lauderdale Children's Business Fair. This event is open to all 5 to 14 year-old budding entrepreneurs. We do have a limited number of tables, so get your ideas together and your application in early.
- It's not too late to plan your special evening with Las Olas Gondolas. Our gondola and professional gondoliers are available for daily tours of Fort Lauderdale 7 days a week, rain or shine. Sit back, relax and see some of the most luxurious homes and gardens of South Florida from a perspective you can only appreciate from the water at the cozy speed of a gondola.
- PIXAR PUTT is the ultimate pop-up, mini-golf experience made up of 18 fun and interactive holes inspired by the stories, characters, and icons from some of Pixar’s most beloved films.
Don’t miss this limited run at the LOOP, January 25 – March 26.
- Looking for a great place to do Fitness outside and with friends. Come down to #TheLoopFLB for a myriad of fitness classes. From morning yoga to sunset yoga, Tai Chi, Kettlebells, aerial decompression, and building buns of steel - we've got it all for you to try!
- Want to talk about AI in Education? While the largest school district (NYC schools) and many others are taking steps to ban the use of ChatGPT, what if the best approach for preparing for the future meant learning to work with AI the same way we use pair up with computers today. Join our Acton Academy Discussion Group on Tuesday, Feb 14th at 7pm for a short, virtual discussion. Hit reply to this email for details.
Question Of The Week
If You Can’t Solve A Problem, It’s Because You’re Playing By The Rules. ~ Benjamin Hardy
(I imagine this was what Captain Kirk was thinking when he solved the Kobiyashi Maru test)
Flotsam & Jetsam
This week's Flotsam & Jetsam (you know, that stuff that washes up from the ocean) is all about curiosity.
Specifically, we are sharing Sam Enright's Cabinet of Wikipedian Curiosities. A website that makes it feel like you stepped into a Carnival tent of wonders, this collection of "can you believe that!" is worth the five-minute tour (or hours if you get stuck exploring).
For example, did you know about...
Tell Us How We Are Doing
Every week we are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners.
We want to hear from you. What do you love? What could we do better FOR YOU?