See the Stanley Cup... on the beach?!? And leave it to the Greeks
Thursday, February 2nd, 2023 - Lot's going on this weekend, from NHL events down at Fort Lauderdale Beach to Jazz Brunch on the Riverwalk, and Folk Music at the Rodeo Grounds. Pick your tune and dance away:
Stuff You Won't Want To Miss:
- TODAY is the start of Noon Tunes in Stranahan Park right in Downtown Fort Lauderdale. Last year when our school was located nearby, we used to walk over and sit in the park (the only Botanical Garden in Broward County). (Free)
- Also starting TONIGHT and through the weekend, it's the Fort Lauderdale Greek Festival at St. Demetrios Church. Come for the authentic Greek food, culture and dancing. Bring a can of food for the homeless earns you free admission. (Free)
- Saturday is ArtLit at the Broward County Library. The 6th annual ArtLit 2023 Festival, a free signature Broward County Library event will take place at the South Regional Broward College Library and Broward College. This is a free popular community celebration of art and literature for all ages. The indoor/outdoor festival will celebrate Colombian culture with a day of art activities, a 3D Photo opportunity, music, chalk artistry/mural creation(s) by professional artists and students, a community chalk board and a life-size game area, as well as a video game bus, stories on wheels, poetry and chalk workshops, dance and musical performances, character appearances, soccer activities, henna tattoos, face painting, free book and food sample giveaways (while supplies last) and so much more! (Free to Register)
- Did you know the NHL All-Stars are in South Florida? And this weekend (starting tonight) is the NHL All-Star Beach Festival. The National Hockey League (NHL) will transform Fort Lauderdale Beach Park into a hockey paradise during the Truly Hard Seltzer NHL All-Star Beach Festival™, February 2-4, 2023. As the official fan festival of the 2023 Honda NHL® All-Star Weekend, the Truly Hard Seltzer NHL All-Star Beach Festival™ will offer hockey fans of all ages three days of family friendly hockey interactive games and attractions, trophy and memorabilia displays, special guest appearances and a chance to take a picture with the greatest trophy in sports, the Stanley Cup®! (Free)
- Saturday and Sunday is the South Florida Folk & Acoustic Music Festival at the Bergeron Rodeo Grounds. All music and activities are covered, a kids area, and 3 different food vendors available. Bring your own beach chairs for comfort. (Tickets)
- Saturday you can also visit the Tri-Rail for its annual Rail Fun Day. Attendees of the annual free family fun day will enjoy live entertainment, arts and crafts, interactive games, cookie decorating, photos with Tri-Rail’s mascot Conductor George Green and popular costume characters, face painting, giveaways, food trucks and the “South Florida’s Kids Got Talent” singing competition. (Free)
- And if you are on the Riverwalk this weekend, there is lot's to do! Saturday or Sunday you could stop by the Museum of Discovery & Science (MODS.org) with free admission for all Bank of America card holders. Jazz Brunch will take over Esplanade and the upper Riverwalk on Sunday. You can also visit the New River Open Air Market (Free, and more Free)
- Pixar Putt is rolling down at #TheLoopFLB with a fun family activity. This is a pop-up, mini-golf experience made up of 18 fun and interactive holes inspired by the stories, characters, and icons from some of Pixar’s most beloved films. (Tickets)
FEATURED FORT LAUDERDALE
Fort Lauderdale specifically, but all of South Florida is home to some amazing purpose-driven entrepreneurs. On the podcast this past week we talked to Nicole Zimmerman of Sensory Mama about her mission to provide comfort and adaptable environments for children on the spectrum who can be easily overwhelmed.
Do you have a favorite event, place, business, or organization you would like to see featured on the podcast? HIT REPLY and let us know!
So... You Think You Know Fort Lauderdale?
But you might not know about... the artists-in-residence program on the upper floor of the New River Inn/Museum. Many folks skip the studios up on the top floor, which is a shame because I think it's a nice way to see some local art, and potentially chit chat with the artists if they're there. Thanks to #FFFTL reader Ján Tompkins for sharing some of his Fort Lauderdale favorites from his recent visit with us from Europe.
Classifieds & Giveaways
- Saturday, February 4th - The Broward Teachers Union will host the 26th Annual Innovative Teacher IDEA EXPO presented by Office Depot. This event offers exciting educational workshops, presentations, and the opportunity to interact with more than 35 grant-winning Innovative Teacher Disseminators and their project displays illustrating effective and dynamic teaching strategies.
- Looking for a great place to do Fitness outside and with friends. Come down to #TheLoopFLB for a myriad of fitness classes. From morning yoga to sunset yoga, Tai Chi, Kettlebells, aerial decompression, and building buns of steel - we've got it all for you to try!
Question Of The Week
Flotsam & Jetsam
When was the last time your child had a sleepover?
According to research and written up in The Atlantic, "Sleepovers provide an experience, like trick-or-treating, when the power balance between grown-ups and children can shift in the latter’s favor for the simple reason that parents don’t have the stamina to keep up with (or even stay awake for) kids’ antics. Feeling powerful can be energizing and, well, empowering. But an even more potent benefit is the chance to learn deeply from other families. I found it incredibly exciting to be a voyeur in another family’s home. Some families ran a tight ship; others had dishes piled high in the sink. Some parents were fun to talk with; others scared me witless. Some families seemed to be thriving; others were just hanging on. Seeing these differences helped me reflect on my own place in the world."
Tell Us How We Are Doing
Every week we are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners.
We want to hear from you. What do you love? What could we do better FOR YOU?