Well... Ian made his visit to Florida, largely sparring Greater Fort Lauderdale. But Naples and Sarasota, not so much. Schools and businesses were closed the last couple of days but there's still lot's to do this weekend. At least we aren't getting the 12-18 inches of September snow that is forecast for the Midwest later today ❅ 😱
- Run amongst the oak trees this weekend (and make Thumb Buddies as a bonus)
- Markets downtown (and Jazz Brunch Sunday) to pick from
- Do you know what makes a record player make music? See below👇
Things You Won't Want To Miss This Week:
- Get up and out of the house early Saturday morning for the Heal The Planet 5K Run/Walk. The registration begins just after 6am at TY Park in Hollywood. Run/walk around the peaceful TY Park lake while under the large array of Oak Trees. As an added bonus, our Acton team will be making "Thumb Buddy" friends in the Kids Zone all morning! (Register)
- In the afternoon, stop by the Indie Craft Bazaar at Revolution. From Noon until 5pm, this is a one day only, independent art and handmade festival. "It's like stepping into an in real life Etsy!" Featuring over 75 artists, crafters, designers, and makers, plus: DIY activties, food, drink specials, and giveaways! (Free)
- Lot's to do on Sunday. We have Jazz Brunch on the Riverwalk, combined with the Open Air Market at Old Fort Lauderdale Village. If you want a quieter Sunday, try birding at The Bonnet House.
- If you are new to Fort Lauderdale and looking for a welcoming community for worship, we cannot say enough good things about the folks at St. Ambrose Episcopal Church on 31st Street. Our course, we are biased as they are our landlords for our school at the same location.
- Don't miss the Raising Healthy, Happy Kids Summit (featuring our Acton Founder Laura Sandefer). In this virtual summit, hear from experts about how to raise a healthy, happy kid and how to, through it all, create a peaceful, loving home. We're talking less frustration and more fun...for you and your kids. (Free for a limited time).
Featured Fort Lauderdale
If you've stayed with us this far, you know by now that this newsletter is created and sponsored by Acton Academy Fort Lauderdale. What you MIGHT NOT KNOW however, is why Acton is different.
There are a bunch of AMAZING microschools in South Florida, and powered by some of the most AMAZING educators you will ever meet. Shiren Rattigan at Colossal Academy is one of those workhorses. Whatever she is eating, we need to order up to get energy like that!
But what if you COULDN'T rely on rockstar educators to orchestrate the magic? THAT's what makes Acton different. Making up 2/3rds of the microschool marketplace nationwide, the Acton Network of schools started over a dozen years ago, by turning the traditional school model (NO TEACHERS and NO ANSWERING QUESTIONS) upside down.
Here's how it is different:
So... You Think You Know South Florida?
Here are some interesting stats about the Greater Fort Lauderdale area (courtesy of Visit Lauderdale).
Did you know that our beloved "Venice of America" includes:
👉 24 miles of beaches
👉 300 miles of waterways
👉 1.8 million people
👉 31 municipalities
👉 147 different languages
👉 38,000+ hotel rooms not counting Airbnb’s
👉 14 new properties since 2021
👉 Worlds second biggest international boat show
👉 1.3 billion expansion of convention center to attract major industry events
👉 Record breaking hotel revenue ($1.3b in 2021)
- Mari's Kitchen Now Open in Sistrunk MarketplaceThe second location of Mari's Kitchen is now open in Sistrunk Marketplace! They'll be serving up fresh pasta, paninis, and more Italian favorites at this outpost.Tuesday-Sunday: 11:00 a.m. - 10:30 p.m.115 NW 6 Street, Fort Lauderdale, FL Visit their Facebook page for updates.
- Late October means its time for the International Boat Show on the waterfront here in Fort Lauderdale. The second largest outdoor boat show in the world, South Florida is the seat of the Maritime Industry. If you want a leg up on the best options and best deals (including a unique class of electric-hybrids) visit locally based Yacht Sales International.
- Thinking about welcoming a new wee little one into the family? Then you will want to know about Coastal Midwifery for home and water births.
- Driving through Dania Beach? Make sure you stop at Vegan Junkie. Vegan Junkie is on a mission to set a new tradition for fast food! We are a Quick Service Gourmet, Artisanal Burger Food Truck, creating the most unique Handcrafted Plant Based burgers with the freshest, highest quality, locally-sourced ingredients that are 100% soy free.
- On the other side of Fort Lauderdale, stop by New York Style Grilled Cheese in Wilton Manors. Home of The Waffled Grilled Cheese®, this extraordinary restaurant concept dishes out a dramatic makeover, inside and out, taking the classic grilled cheese out of the frying pan and into the waffle press!
Flotsam & Jetsam
Last weekend you might have visited the Flamingo Market at Tarpon River Brewing, and picked up some vintage vinyl records. You might have even impressed the younger members of the family who have never seen you spin the vinyl before (let alone cassette mix-tapes, or even 8-Tracks).
Tell Us How We Are Doing
We are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners. We want to hear from you. What do you love? How could we do better?
And most importantly, what FTL businesses and experiences should we be highlighting?