Here's your list for this week's basket of goodies:
- Movies in the moonlight and by the beach
- Live music (for everyone) and craft beer (for the adults) at several fun events this weekend
- Vintage vinyl at the Flamingo Market. Do you still have your record player to show the kids?
Things You Won't Want To Miss This Week:
- Friday night, it's the Secret Life of Pets on the outdoor big screen at the Movies By Moonlight on The Loop at Las Olas Oceanside Park. Showtime starts at 8pm. Food and market vendors will be on site from 5:30pm to 10pm. (Free)
- Have you looked at the Broward County Library calendar lately? Every day they have activities like scavenger hunts and story time, arts & crafts, for little ones and programming for adults. Check out the full calendar of events here. (Free)
- Saturday morning, get up early and Walk to Stop Diabetes with the fundraising walk from Huizenga Park. They are over halfway to their goal. Registration starts at 7am. If you cannot walk, you can always donate to a walker or team via the website.
- Saturday afternoon, the Riverwalk is hosting its Libations By The River at Esplanade Park. Starting at 2pm, there will be live music, food trucks, and craft beer. (Free or Tickets)
- Saturday night (starting at 6pm) it is Artoberfest over in MASS District. Think of the German tradition of Octoberfest + the September ArtWalk. Tickets include craft beer samples. (Free to visit or Tickets)
- If spookiness is your thing, then Saturday night is also the September edition of Haunting On The River. Join Haunted South Florida at History Fort Lauderdale and discover what it takes to be a true paranormal investigator. Proceeds benefit History Fort Lauderdale and the Autism Society of Florida. (Tickets)
- Sunday at noon to 4pm, it's the Flamingo Flea Market at Tarpon River Brewing. This pop-up market features vendors selling soaps, vinyl records, jewelry, cookies, vintage tees, and of course lot's of great food options from the Brewery. (Free)
- Plan ahead for next week, with $10 Tuesdays at the Museum of Discovery & Science. We share updates from MODS nearly every week... because they have something cool planned all the time. But if you haven't visited lately, Tuesday is great for homeschoolers or others with flexible schedules. (Paid)
- Still looking for fun activities to do? There is a whole catalog of leagues, camps, and programs with the Fort Lauderdale Recreation Department waiting to be discovered. (Free and Paid)
Featured Fort Lauderdale
When you think of Fort Lauderdale you might think of beaches and waterways and... rodeos?
People may conjure the beach when they think of the Sunshine State, but much of Florida is also cowboy country. Greater Fort Lauderdale is no different, and the Bergeron Rodeo Grounds in Davie play host to rodeos throughout the year. That includes rodeo shows as well as competitions such as the Southeastern Circuit Finals Rodeo in the winter. While you’re in Davie, stop by Round Up for line dancing classes.
So... You Think You Know South Florida?
Did you recognize this dining spot?
One of the fun games we've played in previous editions of #FFFTL is to share the view from one of the world-famous restaurants here in Fort Lauderdale, and see who can guess the location. Today's challenge... is well known and maybe the waterfront view might give it away. But with this quintessential peek at this spot you can visit by land or by boat...
Do you know the name of this Fort Lauderdale restaurant?
- Perspective. Is. Everything. Breadcrumbs offers a new and refreshing perspective on the parent-child relationship. Virtual Event. Thursday, September 22, 2022, 7:30 PM – 8:30 PM EDT
- Would you like to place YOUR ADVERT HERE? Hit reply and we will get you started with a complimentary mention.
- And WHO'S HIRING? We also want to create a new section of the newsletter. So if you've got a position to fill, let our readers know and we will spread the word!
- The Fort Lauderdale Police Department is hiring. If you are 18 or over, consider becoming a Detention Officer with the FLPD.
- Henry's Sandwich Station Now Open at Sistrunk Marketplace. For more information, visit henryssandwich.com.
- With rain and thunderstorms threatening last night, we had to postpone our paddle with a purpose at Las Olas Paddleboards. But they have a sunset paddle every other Wednesday evening. They have the right equipment for everyone in your group. And furry friend's are welcome too!
- Our Tribe at Acton Academy is growing as we welcome new learners who will be joining us for Session #2 starting in October. Next up: The Community Garden Quest! If you would like to schedule a family visit, use the "Talk With Us" button here to pick a time to start the conversation.
Flotsam & Jetsam
What do you say to an angry child?
We've all been there. There emotions are flooding and overflowing. Why they are mad in the moment probably doesn't really matter. But what you say - and who you are in those moments will be carried forward for a lifetime. So what can you say?
This printable sheet from The Big Life Journal is a great reminder of the little things we can utter, that make a big difference in those overwhelming moments. Do you have a favorite parenting resource you would be willing to share?
Tell Us How We Are Doing
We are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners. We want to hear from you. What do you love? How could we do better?
And most importantly, what FTL businesses and experiences should we be highlighting?