Want to share your recommendations for others to know and enjoy?
Even with the holidays in full swing, there is a full plate of stuff to do between now and New Year's. But before we get into the good stuff, help us get ready for 2023!
- What are your family's favorite activities to do in Fort Lauderdale?
- Are there any events or attractions that your family is looking forward to visiting in the coming months?
- What are your family's favorite restaurants or places to eat in Fort Lauderdale?
- Do you have any recommendations for family-friendly hotels or vacation rentals in the area?
- What are your family's favorite beaches or parks in Fort Lauderdale?
Your answers will help us build our Features section for the coming year. We want to hear from you!
Stuff You Won't Want To Miss This Week:
- This AFTERNOON (3-6pm) - catch the first annual Student Short Film Festival at Savor Cinema - Hosted by Acton Academy Fort Lauderdale. This is a free event open to the public, as learners will be sharing the work from their recent three-week Filmmaker Quest. After the short films, a Feature Film (Hero Mode) will be shown with a unique Acton-twist. (Free)
- TONIGHT (7pm) - is also a movie night and holiday outing, as the New City Players will be screening It's A Wonderful Life, at the Pompano Beach Cultural Center. After the movie, there will be a panel discussion about mental well-being and the challenges that can sometimes feel overwhelming during the holidays. (Free)
- Get your last minute shopping in at the Las Olas Oceanside Market on Saturday morning. Then take the family up to MODS for the Winter Wonderlab Science Weekend. You can even visit the Museum Gift Shop to finish up your gift list.
- On Saturday morning, lace up those running shoes for the Jingle Bell Jog on the morning before Christmas. This 5K is an annual running event that champions all things associated with the festive winter holidays… Jingle Bells, Santa, Mistletoe, Egg Nog, Reindeer, Elves. All participants will receive a Santa Suit costume! You will also receive a pair of Jingle Bells to tie to your running shoes. (Register)
- Saturday night, and back by popular demand - Jeff Grainger and his 6-piece band will be singing Sinatra again at Las Olas Oceanside Park for the annual Christmas Eve concert. Keep your eyes peeled for a special guest appearance by Marilyn Monroe. (Free)
- And starting on the 26th, you can celebrate the 7 days of Kwanzaa with the Broward County Library. Kwanzaa (/ˈkwɑːn.zə/) is an annual celebration of African American culture that is held from December 26 to January 1. This year's festival will coincide with the first day of Kwanzaa which encourages Umoja, or 'Unity'. Focusing on unity, this event is AARLCC’s offering where we provide the community with holistic workshops on health, wellness, and purpose.
- SoFlo Kwanzaa Day 1 - Umoja (Online) - Broward County Library (libnet.info)
- SoFlo Kwanzaa Day 2 - Kujichagulia (In-Person and Online) - Broward County Library (libnet.info)
- SoFlo Kwanzaa Day 3 - Ujima (In-Person and Online) - Broward County Library (libnet.info)
- SoFlo Kwanzaa Day 4 - Ujamaa (Outdoors and Online) - Broward County Library (libnet.info)
- SoFlo Kwanzaa Day 5 - Nia (Outdoors) - Broward County Library (libnet.info)
- SoFlo Kwanzaa Day 6 - Kuumba (In-Person and Online) - Broward County Library (libnet.info)
- SoFlo Kwanzaa Day 7 - Imani (Online) - Broward County Library (libnet.info)
- Next Week - catch the Cirque Dreamz Holidaze performances at the Broward Center on the 28th and 29th. This is Broadway-style musical infused with contemporary circus artistry into the ultimate holiday gift for the entire family. (Tickets)
- Also on the 28th - Todd Sinelli will be performing his "IN" experience at Savor Cinema. (Tickets)
- On the 29th - the State Ballet of Ukraine will present Sleeping Beauty at the Broward Center. This is one of the most beautiful, festive, and cheerful ballets; Tchaikovsky said: "Sleeping Beauty is perhaps the best of my works." (Tickets)
FEATURED - FORT LAUDERDALE (From The Podcast)
There's Lot's To Do At The Broward County Libraries Over The Holiday Break. This week we chatted with Kimberly White, the Youth Services Coordinator for Broward County Public Libraries.
With school is out over the holiday break - so what is there for the younglings to do? How about visit your local library. I think you will be surprised how much programming is available.
Do you have a favorite event, place, business, or organization you would like to see featured on the podcast? HIT REPLY and let us know!
So... You Think You Know Fort Lauderdale?
You probably know... that with holiday break students will be home over the next couple of weeks... and maybe, just maybe looking for something fun to do.
Over the holiday break - we are giving some time off for our Classifieds section as we rebuild it for the New Year.
What does 2023 have in store for you?
- More fun listings fro businesses who want you to visit and are offering great deals to entice you.
- How about a job board with listings for folks who want to work locally?
- Giveaways with prizes and contests to reward you for your support
- What else would you like to see?
Quote Of The Week
Patience is not passive, on the contrary, it is concentrated strength.
― Bruce Lee
Flotsam & Jetsam
With the holiday break nearly upon us, you may be looking to get out of the office - and let folks know with a little bit of humor. Then you will LOVE THIS! Have some fun putting your work email on pause.
Because the interweb always has something bizarre to make your day, now you can have your out-of-office email written by an Icelandic horse. Yes, really. Choose from a selection of horses and get video evidence of your chosen horse writing your auto response on a giant, horse-sized keyboard.
Tell Us How We Are Doing
We are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners. We want to hear from you. What do you love? How could we do better?