Tuesday, March 28th - 2023 - Laughs... or a funeral march. You call it. Rubber duck races, free workouts and more. All of this is down below, in your basket of goodies. Looks like a busy week, so what do you have planned on your schedule?
Stuff You Won't Want To Miss:
- Thurday night, the Lexus Corporate Run is back and at the FLA Live Arena as its new home base. This is "Ft. Lauderdale's Largest Office Party" – a 3.1-mile run/walk open to full and part-time employees. In addition to the fun and comaraderie of the Run, teams compete for awards in 18 industry categories and well as our T-Shirt Contest. You must have at least four full time employees from your company on your team to participate. Get info on the Event and find other useful links below. (Register)
- Also Thursday night, get some humor injected into your evening with the Women Comedians at Pompano Beach. Laugh out loud when the hottest female comedians take the stage for a night of clean, hilarious fun. Perfect for a date night or girls night out! (Tickets)
- If laughs aren't your thing... take in Verdi's Requiem (you know that means death march.... right?!?) by the Master Chorale of South Florisa, performing at The Parker - also Thursday night. (Tickets)
- Friday night is Canvas Paint Night at the Broward Library - Tyrone Bryant Branch. This event is part of Youth Art Month and is specifically for teens and tweens (Free)
- Friday night is also Food In Motion at Peter Feldman Park. Food In Motion is a monthly event that features an array of quality food trucks, street food stands, art & boutique pop-up shops, drinks, and fun! (Free)
- Have you tried Rooftop Sunset Yoga at the Fort Lauderdale Beach? Friday from 6 to 7pm. Join us as we rise up on the rooftop for a beautiful Hatha Yoga flow class + weekly tips to boost our practice. This series introduces the foundations of Asana, pranayama, meditation & more – led by leading yoga instructor, Lisa Pumper. (Tickets)
- Saturday afternoon will be the 17th Annual Kids Duck Derby at Esplanade Park. Adopt a duck for just $5. 100% of the proceeds of duck sales benefit 20,000+ children and families served by KID - aka Kids In Distress. (Free)
- Saturday marks the 14th Annual Orchid & Garden Festival at The Bonnet House, welcoming orchid enthusiasts and plant lovers alike to vividly experience – and purchase – diverse, colorful, and fragrant varieties of orchids, tropical plants, herbs and fruit trees, butterfly garden plants, garden art and so much more, sold by over 25 local and international vendors from Thailand, Ecuador, and Brazil. . For the first time in 30 years, Bonnet House welcomes orchid vendor Ornamentales Ledezma from Costa Rica. (Tickets)
- Saturday will also be Fort Lauderdale's biggest yard sale of the year. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure! If you’re looking to downsize, need to declutter, or purge, this community event is the perfect opportunity to sell off those old items while enjoying the beautiful park atmosphere. Garage sale vendor space is available to City residents for $20. (Free)
- Saturday is Bank of America's Museums On Us - which means free admission to local museums such as MODS. Just present your active Bank of America, Merrill or Bank of America Private Bank (U.S. Trust) credit or debit card with photo ID at the Museum box office to gain one free general admission. (Free)
- Sunday is the start of FLL Fashion Week Vendor Exhibition, by Urban Pop Up Shop. This event begins at Esplanade Park. Shop South Florida's Fashion Designers' limited edition products, see live presentations featuring new Spring/Summer 2023 collections and meet the designers behind the FLLFW brands. The Fort Lauderdale Fashion Week's Pop Ups bring the gap between commerce and high fashion, opening our doors to press and public alike. Join us in experiencing an exclusive FLL Fashion Week Event. (Tickets)
- Sunday is also a chance to catch the Jazz Brunch on the Riverwalk or browse the New River Open Air Market.
- Live downtown and want to get FIT? There's a free workout waiting for you each Monday night's from 6-7pm. This is group circuit training and HITT workouts for FTL residents. (Free)
- And lastly, remember that sometimes (like this Friday) it is important to just say thanks and let folks know when they go above and beyond. That's why the Downtown Council of the Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce (I... Tobin, am a member of the Council)) is honoring Eugenia Duncan Ellis of Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale. Her civic leadership spans far beyond the Riverwalk association. There is still time to get tickets to Friday's lunch event. (Tickets)
FEATURED Fort Lauderdale
Since we talked about the Get Fit Monday Nights for FTL residents above, we thought you might want to hear more about how that came about, including the free movie nights too. Both are courtesy of our friends at First Baptist Fort Lauderdale. This recent podcast with Danny Somers explains more about what is there and waiting for you.
Do you have a favorite event, place, business, or organization you would like to see featured on the podcast? HIT REPLY and let us know!
So... You Think You Know Fort Lauderdale?
But you might not know is... while this location might be a stretch because it's not Broward County (about a 1-hour drive from downtown Fort Lauderdale) but worth the trip, very nicely put together Seminole museum, a bit small and doesn't really give the story that I think should be told but it's nice for what they have and out back is a very lovely 1-mile boardwalk.
Thanks to #FFFTL reader Ján Tompkins for this "out of the box" recommendation, for your pleasure.
- This week is a special week at our school, as we host visitors from River Oak Academy (Jacksonville) and as far away as Kuala Lampur. Then this weekend we go to St. Cloud Florida for a meet-up of other FL-based Acton schools, including South Miami, North Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Coral Springs, Palm Beach, Port St. Lucie, South Tampa, and Palm Harbor. What happens when you get 30-40 education innovators in one room for 24 hours? Can't wait to see!
- Applications are still OPEN for the 2023 Fort Lauderdale Children's Business Fair. This event is open to all 5 to 14 year-old budding entrepreneurs. We do have a limited number of tables, so get your ideas together and your application in early.
- Got a teenager who also happens to be a budding artist? Maybe tell them about the NSU Art Museum - Teen Art Council. A Missing Generation is an exhibition of art work by Broward County teens curated by student members of NSU Art Museum’s Teen Art Council, which highlights the unique perspectives and experiences of teens across Broward County. Teens are invited to exhibit their art work with their peers and engage with the greater community of Broward County.
- BOTE Grand Opening Party - Join us for the grand opening party at our NEW Ft. Lauderdale Flagship Store on Friday, March 31. The event will be from 4-9 PM. We will have BOTE beer, live music, good food from Don Chingon Tacos & Ceviche and giveaways! FIRST 100 PEOPLE GET A FREE BOTE FT. LAUDERDALE T-Shirt!
Quote Of The Week
The soul becomes dyed with the colour of its thoughts.” — Marcus Aurelius
Flotsam & Jetsam
Travel the World from your desktop. Visit the Wonders of Street View. See interesting scenes from Google Street View. Get a random selection of the most interesting, creative and outright insane sights captured around the world by Street View cameras. The World is now your oyster!
Tell Us How We Are Doing
Every week we are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners.
We want to hear from you. What do you love? What could we do better FOR YOU?
And most importantly, what FTL businesses and experiences should we be highlighting?