Whoah! This was a big list of things to do because of the holiday weekend.
In this week's basket of goodies, you won't want to miss:
- Labor festivities to explore each day of the holiday weekend
- Make Tye Dye shirts, ride the LauderGo Micro Mover, dig in the soil, or create drip paintings
- Did you know the 2 million tires off-shore?!?
Things You Won't Want To Miss This Week:
- Labor Day may be best known for family cookouts, but the City will host its Pre-Labor Day Festival on Saturday. Come check out all that North Beach has to offer, from 1pm to 9pm. Stay for the car show, the kids splash zone, and the live music. (Free)
- Want to get your hands into the soil as part of MODS's Food Forest Summer Series? Saturday, starting at 10:45am ages 12 and older can join the Regenerative Soil Building experience. Gardeners will learn the basics of building soil using regenerative practices like self-renewing composting and fertilizer, practical skills to reduce local waste and other valuable actions. (Free with Admission)
- Saturday starting at Noon, visit Plunge Beach Resort in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea for a Tye Dye Party. Create your own custom Tie Dye Tshirt with the guidance of local artist Angela Rush. (Paid)
- Sunday at Huizenga Park, from 2pm to 9pm it's La Vie en Rosé 🌸. Described as "A Picnic Experience Like None Other" - that means amazing music, spectacular food, and a top-shelf full bar with a selection of Rosé Champagne, Cocktails and more. (Buy Tickets Here)
- Sunday in Old Fort Lauderdale Village, History Fort Lauderdale is hosting its Family Fun Day. Games, crafts, music, and other activities for the kids on the first Sunday of every month! (Paid)
- And while you stroll the Riverwalk, take in the Jazz Brunch or shop the Open Air Market. (Both Free)
- Saturday AND Monday, you can hop over to Dania Beach for the Labor Day Live Arts Exhibit at Planet RV. Create your art work (drip paintings), live DJ, Drinks, and BBQ. From Noon to 4pm. (Free)
- Want to explore this weekend? Try the Coco Market in Delray Beach on Sunday. At Veterans Park from 9am to 2pm. With sound healing, fairy hair, acro yoga, and a splash pad, there is something for everyone. (Free)
- The fun doesn't stop with labor Day. Next week, on Tuesday the 6th The Broward County Library (Deerfield Beach Percy White Branch) will host Stories, Slime And Paint. Read three stories and then you will have the chance to make some slime as well as paint a picture. Be ready to make a mess. Ages 4 and up. (Free)
Featured Fort Lauderdale
Take A Walk Into The Future With The FATVillage Virtual Artwalk
Flagler Arts & Technology (aka FATVillage) is well known for its monthly Artwalks that highlight the vibrant downtown culture. But this weekend they are taking into a whole new level - the metaverse.
Use your online avatars to move through the virtual FATVillage FAR Gallery and Projects Space, and explore the Observation Deck and Yvette Michele’s Walk on The Malecon gallery portals! This month’s artwalk features recent artworks and NFTs by FATVillage’s resident artists Leah Brown, Yvette Michele, and Peter Symons.
If you can't attend the in person reception, but still want to experience the virtual FATVillage Artwalk in the Metaverse from 6 - 8 pm: Here's how (join us online via your browser or headset):· Step 1: Register for the event on Eventbrite· Step 2: Sign up and set up a free Spatial account at https://spatial.io/· Step 3: You will receive an email with the link for Friday, September 2nd· Step 4: Join us LIVE by headset or on your browser from 6 pm - 8 pm and walk through our virtual FATVillage Artwalk!
So... You Think You Know South Florida?
Did you know - Just off the beach, two million tires were dumped into the ocean in the 1970s.
Why? For the same reason we put shipwrecks down there: artificial reef. Little did the county know, tires are not a conducive material for coral! You think they would have double checked that one, right?
Today, these tires are being removed via a marine debris removal program funded by federal, state, and local agencies. One company has scored the contract and gets paid $18 per tire removed!
- Do you know about the South Florida Adventure Pass? 4 Amazing Attractions for 1 Ticket. And don't forget about MODS and the ever popular $10 Tuesdays!
- On this week's blog, we shared one of the most common questions we hear from parents here at the start of the school year - "Why does my kid say 'I don't know' whenever I ask about their day?" Maybe we need to ask a different question 🤔
- Curious about what a very different approach to education might look like? Schedule a family visit to come and see the new Acton Academy Fort Lauderdale. "Shadow days" (test trials) starting in September. Now accepting Step Up For Students scholarships as part of Florida's School Choice program.
- After the show, drive over to Wilton Manors and get melted for your order of comfort food with New York Grilled Cheese, home of the Waffled Grilled Cheese special.
- This holiday weekend (expect traffic) is probably a good time to remind you about the LauderGo Micro Mover. The City of Fort Lauderdale launched a Micro Mover program this week for DowntownFTL, Las Olas and the beach!
Flotsam & Jetsam
Remember when you were a teenager, how cool it was to just drive and listen to music?
Imagine if you could do that... anywhere in the world. How could would that be?
Now through the magic of technology, you can. Ride along. Listen to the tunes (even with local radio).
Drive and Listen is a super cool website that lets you take a virtual drive through cities around the world and listen to local radio stations. Enjoy the road and this little slice of freedom!
Tell Us How We Are Doing
We are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners. We want to hear from you. What do you love? How could we do better?
And most importantly, what FTL businesses and experiences should we be highlighting?