In this week's basket of goodies, we are sharing (and that you won't want to miss):
- Catch Marcel The Shell in Hollywood before it leaves the cinema
- Travel to Pompano to see the world (via the Festival Marketplace)
- Or get your "Art" on, by buying, visiting, or making your own masterpiece this weekend
Things You Won't Want To Miss This Week:
- Don't Miss This/Thank Us Later: Last week we invited our school community to the Beach Clean-up and Eula Johnson State Park (next one is in October) and then we took in Marcel The Shell With Shoes On at Cinema Paradiso in Hollywood on the way home. If you have children (or the young a heart) in your home, don't miss this WONDERFUL Hero's Journey that will change your perspective on the world. At least watch the trailer to see what it is all about. (Tickets available here)
- Another event that sounds like a can't miss, is the Travel Around The World Festival Marketplace in Pompano. On Saturday from 10am to 1:30pm at Festival Marketplace. Discover the wonders of our featured countries which will be themed after your favorite Disney movies. Each featured country will also have fun free crafts for the little ones. We will also have an international Photo Booth for the family. (Free)
- Saturday all afternoon and evening, it is the Spin at Quantum: Community Festival. Enjoy live entertainment from music to painting, shop with local vendors and enjoy food and drink from food trucks favorites! (Free)
- Friday night, it's movie time again to celebrate the "dog days of summer" with Best In Show for Movies By Moonlight at Las Olas Oceanside Park. The film starts at 8pm but concessions and food vendors begin at 5:30pm. (Free)
- Saturday night- The Fort Lauderdale ArtWalk by MASS District is back. Enjoy live music from local musicians, shop original works of art, unique garbs, and many other handmade crafts at our #VillageShops market. Experience the vibrant energy and artistic expression of MASS District & its' venues and grab a bite from an alluring array of some of South Florida’s best food trucks. (Free)
- Sunday is Neighbor Day at the NSU Art Museum, from noon to 5pm. Every LAST Sunday of every month, Fort Lauderdale residents receive FREE admission to NSU Art Museum as part of Fort Lauderdale Neighbor Days. (Free)
- If you want to make your art more than visit it, come join Sips, Sounds, and Splats on Sunday evening from 6-9pm. Sips, Sounds, & Splats is an art and wine social with live music. Enjoy a culinary demonstration by Chef Marlon of Eats 876 Grill and a painting lesson by DJ the Artiste. (Free)
Featured Fort Lauderdale
Presented by the South Florida Wildlife Center. This is a chance to learn about local wildlife and the adaptations that help them survive in our urban environment. You will meet some of our Ambassador Animals at this free event, discover their personal stories, and learn how you can help their species. Available twice a month (Saturday, August 27th is the next one on the calendar).
So... You Think You Know South Florida?
As new residents to Fort Lauderdale, it has been fun to explore and get to know the different neighborhoods, each with their own character and flavor. Flagler Village and the MASS District host their ArtWalks. The Loop down at the beach might have all the hustle and bustle for our vacation travelers. The Riverwalk District is a world-class downtown experience, on the river and near the food options on and around Las Olas. Old Fort Lauderdale Village is where you can feel the historic early days of how this city was founded.
One quiet neighborhood you might not have heard about is Collee Hammock just off Las Olas. With quiet, tree-shaded streets, it feels like a paradise just a short walk between Las Olas and the Beach. And this Saturday you can do Yoga In The Park at Collee Hammock Park from 11am to Noon.
- Want to explore theatre for your child? Saturday from 10am-3pm the Broward Center for Performing Arts will be hosting an Open House for its Fall Classes. You can also see a full list of classes here.
- Do you know the story about Acton Academy and our new school in Fort Lauderdale? There are over 280 Actons worldwide (17 in Austin, TX alone). This is not just another private school. And each week we've been sharing helpful resources for ALL FAMILIES who are headed back to school. This week we are sharing a download we love on Growth Mindset. Is there any more important life skill for your child? Help them get the most out of the school day, without asking the dreaded... "so how was school?" question that kills the conversation before it starts.
- Want to catch an Improv Show here in Fort Lauderdale? Saunter over to Savor Cinema for the Society Circus Players. Sunday night at 7pm.
- After the show, drive over to Wilton Manors and get melted for your order of comfort food with New York Grilled Cheese, home of the Waffled Grilled Cheese special.
Flotsam & Jetsam
Do you ever feel like you want to take a trip out of South Florida and see other cities... but without all the hassle of travel, delayed flights, not to mention the costs?
It strangely meditative and mesmorizing to watch the views unfold around you, like taking a walk with friends. With a long list of famous cities around the world, it is a fascinating playlist. No Fort Lauderdale (yet) but Miami did make the list.
Tell Us How We Are Doing
We are working to improve #FFFTL every week, both for your reading experience and to provide a cutting-edge media apprenticeship opportunity for our learners. We want to hear from you. What do you love? How could we do better?
And most importantly, what FTL businesses and experiences should we be highlighting?